2-methyl prop-1-ene is an isomer of…
- A. 3-methyl but-1-ene
- B. 2-methyl but-1-ene
- C. But-2-ene
- D. Pent-2-ene
Isomers are organic compounds that have the same molecular formula and composition, but different structure.
2-methyl prop-1-ene will contain 4 carbons this is because:
Prop-1-ene = 3 carbons
2-methyl = 1 carbon located at position 2
Therefore, the isomer of 2-methyl prop-1-ene must have 4 carbons.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. 3-methyl but-1-ene has 5 carbons
- Option B is incorrect. 2-methyl but-1-ene also has 5 carbons
- C is correct. But-2-ene has 4 carbons
- D is not the correct answer. Pent-2-ene has 5 carbons.
You may please note these/this:
- Drawing the structures will show clearly that option C is the right answer, but there’s no need to waste time when we can clearly and quickly get to the right answer by inspecting each of the options.
Use the questions and answer section to correct, express, and contribute your views.
You can also help share this page with friends.
/culled from 2019 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 5/