A balanced chemical equation obeys the law of…
A. conservation of mass
B. definite proportions
C. multiple proportions
D. conservation of energy
A balanced chemical equation ensures that the total number of each element among the reactants is equal to that of the same element among the products, and that all the elements within the reactants is completely accounted for among the product(s). This means the total mass of reactants equals the total mass of the products.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is correct. The law of conservation of mass states that matter can neither be created nor destroyed but can be converted from one form to another during chemical reactions.
- Option B is incorrect. the law of definite proportion states that same compounds always maintain the same combination of atoms in the same definite proportion by mass. The concept of definite proportion is not the concern of balanced chemical equations.
- C is incorrect. the law of multiple proportions has to do with the combination of same elements in different proportions, its concept is not scoped within a balanced chemical equation.
- D is not the correct answer. A balanced chemical equation never shows the law of conservation of energy, in fact, because it either releases or absorbs energy from the environment, energy is usually not conserved within the reactants and products. What am trying to say is that balanced chemical equations only show conservation of mass and not energy.
You may please note these/this:
- A balanced chemical equation ensures that every atom within the reactant(s) is totally accounted for on the product(s) side.
- In a balanced chemical equation, energy may be shown to either be liberated or absorbed, it is not shown to be conserved.
Use the questions and answers session to deal further on this topic…
You can also freely share this page with friends.
/ culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 28 /
A balanced chemical equation obeys the law of... » QuizTablet
QUESTION ORIGINALLY RESOLVED!!!
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com