A few drops of conc HCL are added to about 10cm³ of…
A few drops of conc HCL are added to about 10cm³ of a solution of PH 3.4. The PH of the resulting mixture is?
A. less than 3.4
B. greater than 3.4
D. the same as that of the pure water
Addition of drops of concentrated acids to a solution increases the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. When the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution increases, the PH value decreases, this implies that the PH of the resulting mixture in the set up above will be less than 3.4
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is correct. the concentration of hydrogen ion will increase, thereby reducing the PH value.
- Option B is incorrect. adding drops of base, or water will do this.
- C is incorrect. PH values only remain unaltered in BUFFERS.
- D is not the correct answer. the PH of pure water is 7, this is not likely to be the result.
You may please note these/this:
- Only buffer solutions will have their PH values unaltered when drops of acids or bases are added.
- If more acids are dropped on a solution, the number of hydrogen ions will increase.
- If the number of hydrogen ions in a solution increases, the PH value will reduce.
- If more bases are dropped on a solution, the number of hydroxide ions will increase.
- If the number of hydroxide ions in a solution increases, the PH value will increase.
You are free to login to improve on these answers, at QuizTablet.com, anyone can improve on our answers to assist the upcoming ones improve their learning.
You can also click the golden ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page to raise new related questions… OUR COMMUNITY OF EXPERTS WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TACKLE IT…
/ culled from 2020 JAMB-UTME chemistry past question 21 /