A given amount of gas occupies 10.0 dm3 at 4 atm and 273°C
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because-2… - 08/12/2022
- Natural radioactivity consists of the emission… - 08/12/2022
- In the above diagram MN is perpendicular to ON and MP… - 08/12/2022
A given amount of gas occupies 10.0 dm3 at 4 atm and 273°C. The number of moles of the gas present is…
[Molar volume of a gas at stp. = 22.4 dm3 ]
A. 0.89 mol
B. 1.90 mol
C. 3.80 mol
D. 5.70 mol
We know that 1 mole of gas occupies 22.4 dm3 in volume, but this is at STP.
Now STP = standard temperature and pressure = 273K and 1 atm
In this question, we are given the volume at 4 atm and 273 degree Celsius, we must use this to find the volume at STP ( 273K, 1atm), and then use this new volume to calculate the right number of moles.
So, we will use the general gas equation:
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is correct.
- Option B is incorrect.
- C is incorrect.
- D is not the correct answer.
You may please note these/this:
- 22.4 dm3 is the standard volume of 1 mole of all gasses at STP.
- If a volume is given at other conditions, then use gas laws to reconvert to STP conditions before calculating the appropriate number of moles.
Use the questions and answers session to deal further on this topic…
You can also freely share this page with friends.
/ culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 29 /