An endothermic reaction is one during which heat is ____and can be represented by the symbol____. Which of the following combinations can be used accurately to complete the above definition?
A. liberated -ΔH
B. liberated +ΔH
C. absorbed -ΔH
D. absorbed +ΔH
While exothermic reaction involves the liberation of heat from the reaction to the environment, endothermic reaction involves the absorption of heat from the environment.
Exothermic reactions are usually represented as -ΔH, while endothermic reactions are usually represented as +ΔH.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. heat is absorbed and represented by positive heat change.
- Option B is incorrect. heat is absorbed, and not liberated.
- C is incorrect. Yes, heat is absorbed, but the sign should be positive.
- D is the correct answer.
You may please note these/this:
- The prefix endo means into…
- The prefix exo means outwards…
- Exothermic reactions are usually hot when touched, this is because they are releasing heat to the environment.
- Endothermic reactions are usually cold when touched, this is because they absorb heat from the environment.
If you love our answers, you can login to comment and say hi to us at the comment section…
To raise new related questions, click the ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page!
/ culled from 2015 JAMB-UTME Chemistry past question 39 /
An endothermic reaction is one during which heat is... » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com