- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
Deliquescent substances are also?
A deliquescent substance is a substance that can absorb moisture from the atmosphere while also dissolving in it to form a solution.
This should not be confused with a hygroscopic substance which also absorbs water but does not dissolve in it to form a solution.
To respond to this question, please observe that anhydrous is an option lurking around.
An anhydrous substance is any pure chemical substance that does not contain water, especially water of crystallization. Anhydrous substances can be pure solids or pure liquids…
Now, deliquescent substances are initially anhydrous in their pure state, before they begin to absorb water.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. efflorescent substances are actually opposite, they loss their water of crystallization on exposure.
- Option B is correct. anhydrous substances are dry and pure substances that does not contain any trace of water. Deliquescent substances are initially anhydrous before they begin to absorb and dissolve in water.
- C is incorrect. there’s a significant difference between deliquescent and hygroscopic substances.
- D is not the correct answer. deliquescent substances are soluble.
You may please note these/this:
- An anhydrous substance contains no water.
- Both hygroscopic and deliquescent substances are initially anhydrous before they begin to absorb water.
- Efflorescent substances are initially hydrated and not anhydrous.
- Efflorescent substances could eventually become anhydrous when they finally loss all their water of crystallization.
- The opposite of anhydrous is hydrated.
- I hope you have learnt something new today.
- If you love our answers, you can login to say hi to us…
You are free to login to improve on these answers, at QuizTablet.com, anyone can improve on our answers to assist the upcoming ones improve their learning.
You can also click the golden ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page to raise new related questions… OUR COMMUNITY OF EXPERTS WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TACKLE IT…
/ culled from 2020 JAMB-UTME chemistry past question 23 /