In photosynthesis, oxygen is liberated during
A. conversion of energy
C. splitting of carbon (IV)oxide
Photosynthesis involves light and dark reactions, the light reaction involves the splitting of water in presence of sunlight (or photolysis) to give off oxygen, while the dark reaction involves the conversion of carbondioxide into glucose.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect; conversion of energy not the answer.
- Option B is correct. Photolysis involves the splitting of water molecules, in the presence of sunlight, to give off oxygen and ATP.
- C is incorrect; carbon(iv)oxide does not split during photosynthesis.
- D is not the correct answer; glycolysis (splitting of glucose) not involved in photosynthesis.
You may please note that:
- Oxygen is usually liberated during the splitting of water.
- Carbondioxide is not usually split, but often fixed into glucose during dark reaction.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions and deal more on this topic…
/ culled from 2016 JAMB-UTME biology past question 46 /
In photosynthesis, oxygen is liberated during… » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Person
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com