- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
Make t the subject of the formula s = ut + ½ at²
Recall that a quadratic equation has the nature ax² + bx + c = 0
from the given problem, we have:
s = ut + ½ at²
Rearranging, we have:
0 = ½ at² + ut – s, or
½ at² + ut – s = 0
Multiplying through by 2, we then have:
at² + 2ut – 2s = 0
comparing this with ax² + bx + c = 0, we have:
a = a, b = 2u, c = -2s, and also take note that x = t
Applying this to the general solution for a quadratic equation using the almighty formula, we have:
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. there should be a minus sign before u
- Option B is incorrect. there should be a plus sign inside the square root.
- C is incorrect. there should be a minus sign before u.
- D is the correct answer.
You may please note these/this:
- The almighty formula is the general formula used to solve any quadratic equation.
- Please be careful when playing with signs, many students usually miss it at this point.
If you love our answers, you can simply join our community and also provide answers like this, fellow learners like you will appreciate it.
To raise new related questions, click the ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page…
/ culled from 2020 JAMB-UTME mathematics past question 04 /