The breeding methods that are useful in selective breeding…
- Which of the following is a set of neutral oxides? - 11/25/2022
- A secondary alkanol can be oxidized to give… - 11/25/2022
- The IUPAC name for CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 is… - 11/25/2022
Advantages and Disadvantages of Sprinkler Irrigation Method || Irrigation Engineering - civilnoteppt
The breeding methods that are useful in selective breeding of animals and plants are…
A. inbreeding and cross- breeding
B. inbreeding and hetero-breeding
C. inbreeding and out-breeding
D. inbreeding and self-breeding
Breeding has to do with reproductive combination of organisms to yield an offspring.
We are required to identify the breeding methods useful to plants and animals.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect; cross breeding has to do with breeding two organisms of different and distant related species. But organisms of close related species and different population can effectively breed even better.
- Option B is incorrect; the term hetero-breeding does not exist.
- C is correct; the term out-breeding is used to describe a closely related or not closely related breeding. Cross breeding is a type of out-breeding.
- D is not the answer; self-breeding has to do with self-fertilization, a process occurring in hermaphrodites and plants. Self-breeding is a kind of in-breeding.
You may please note that:
- Breeding generally is classified into two parts, namely inbreeding and out breeding.
- Cross-breeding is a type of out-breeding which occurs between organisms of distant species.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions and deal more on this topic…
/ culled from 2016 JAMB-UTME biology past question 34 /