The cell organelle solely responsible for respiration is the…
- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
The cell organelle solely responsible for respiration is the
C. endoplasmic reticulum
Cellular respiration is a set of cellular processes that convert nutrients and oxygen into ATP and waste products. It occurs in an organelle called mitochondrion.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect; cellular respiration does not occur in the nucleus.
- Option B is also incorrect; nucleolus is the largest part of the nucleus; it is responsible for ribosome biogenesis and r-RNA synthesis. It is not responsible for respiration.
- C is incorrect; endoplasmic reticulum is the transportation bus of the cell; it transports materials across the cytoplasm.
- D is the right answer; mitochondrion is the organelle responsible for cellular respiration.
You may please note that:
- Mitochondria is the plural form of mitochondrion.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions and deal more on this topic…
/ culled from 2016 JAMB-UTME biology past question 32 /