The diagram above shows a maximum and minimum thermometer divided into…
The diagram above shows a maximum and minimum thermometer divided into three portions P, Q and R. which of the following is true about the respective content of P, Q and R?
A. Air, alcohol and mercury
B. alcohol, mercury and alcohol
C. mercury, alcohol and mercury
D. Air, mercury and alcohol
Six’s thermometer, as shown above, is a thermometer used to measure the maximum and minimum temperatures reached in an environment where the temperature fluctuates over a period of time.
In six’s thermometer design,
- The sealed (minima) glass tube labelled P is filled with alcohol.
- In-between the minima and maxima tube (at the downward bend labelled Q) is filled with mercury.
- And the sealed (maxima) glass tube labelled R is again filled with alcohol.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. P = alcohol, Q = mercury, R = alcohol
- Option B is correct.
- C is incorrect.
- D is not the correct answer.
You may please note these/this:
- In six’s thermometer, both extreme bulbs contain alcohol, while the middle u-tube contain mercury.
If you love our answers, you can login to comment and say hi to us at the comment section…
To raise new related questions, click the ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page!
/ culled from 2015 JAMB-UTME physics past question 26 /