The IUPAC name for CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 is
- A. Methyl propanoate
- B. Ethyl ethanoate
- C. Ethyl propanoate
- D. Methyl ethanoate
When naming an ester, follow the following simple steps:
- Split the components into three parts leaving the double oxygen at the middle,
- Count the number of carbons on the right first, and start naming the ester with the corresponding alkyl group.
- Count the number of carbons at the left-hand side and complete the name of the ester by naming the corresponding ester group.
Following the above steps, we have:
Splitting = CH3CH2C -OO- CH2CH3
Taking the right-hand component firstly, -CH2CH3– = 2 carbons = ethyl
Taking the left-hand side, 3 carbons –CH3CH2C– = propanoate
Hence, we have the name ethyl-propanoate.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. methyl propanoate will be CH3CH2COOCH3
- Option B is incorrect. ethyl ethanoate will be CH3COOCH2CH3
- C is correct.
- D is not the correct answer. Methyl ethanoate will be CH3COOCH3
You may please note these/this:
- Split esters into three leaving double oxygen at the middle, count and name the ester according to the number of carbons starting from the right-hand side.
Use the questions and answer section to correct, express, and contribute your views.
You can also help share this page with friends.
/culled from 2019 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 3/
The IUPAC name for CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 is... » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com