The most important factor that determines the different types of vegetation is…
- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
The most important factor that determines the different types of vegetation is
Vegetation is the kind of trees, grasses, shrubs or generally plants that freely grow in a given environment. Factors such as sunlight, wind, temperature, or rainfall may directly influence the kind and distribution of these vegetation in an environment.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Sunlight is needed for photosynthesis, but much of it without rainfall would lead to drought and desert kind of vegetation. so, A is quite incorrect.
- Wind is readily available even in the desert, but this is not clearly sufficient to promote vegetation. So, B is also incorrect.
- The temperature of an environment is a weak factor even as some plants are known to survive extreme temperatures in the presence of water. High temperatures may lead to dryness and drought, and low temperatures may lead to snow and ice, the bottom line is availability of water for plant growth. So, C is also incorrect.
- D is correct; regions with high rainfall have been known to display significantly better vegetation when compared to regions with low rainfall, in fact rainfall is the chief factor the controls the formation of vegetation across lands.
You may please note that:
- The factors proposed in the options may play a direct or indirect role in the formation of vegetation, however, we are required to select the most powerful determining factor.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions on this topic…
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME biology question 9 /