The organelle responsible for osmoregulation in Paramecium is…
The organelle responsible for osmoregulation in Paramecium is
A. flame cell
C. contractile vacuole
D. malpighian tubule
Osmoregulation is the process of maintaining appropriate balance of fluid and salt concentration between internal and external environment of a cell. Paramecium uses osmoregulation to remove metabolic wastes.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Flame cell is the excretory organ of a flatworm and not paramecium. so, A is quite incorrect.
- Nephridia is the excretory organ of earthworms. B is also incorrect.
- Contractile vacuole is a specialized organelle responsible for osmoregulation in one-celled organisms like paramecium, and amoeba. C is very correct.
- D is incorrect; the malpighian tubule is the principal excretory organ of insects.
You may please note that:
- Flatworms uses flame cells as well as nephridia to remove wastes.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions on this topic…
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME biology question 6 /