The organism designated P in the food chain above is normally sustained by energy from
Study the diagram of a food chain shown below and use it to answer question 27 and 28.
The organism designated P in the food chain above is normally sustained by energy from…
C. green plants
D. mineral salts
Organism P is the first in line, this implies it is the primary producer, followed by Q the primary consumer, and R the secondary consumer, S the tertiary consumer and T the apex predators.
Now to the right option…
- Option A is correct; primary producers are at the first trophic level; they manufacture their own food from sunlight.
- Option B is incorrect; carbohydrates sustain consumers and not producers. Producers like plants actually produce carbohydrates from sunlight energy, water, and carbon dioxide.
- Organism P itself is the green plant, it is Q that really depends on energy from green plants to survive. So, C is incorrect.
- Actually, D is also incorrect; although plants may depend on mineral nutrients from the soil, this mineral nutrient does not supply it with energy, instead, it is the energy from sunlight that sustains them.
You may please note that:
- Many food chains do not include the fifth trophic level.
- To refresh your memory, the five trophic levels are:
Tertiary consumers, and
You may use the questions and answers session to deal further on this topic…
/culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME biology question 27 /
The organism designated P in the food chain above is normally sustained by energy from » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com