- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
The platelets in mammalian blood are responsible for
A. transporting oxygen
B. initiating clotting
C. removing carbon (IV) oxide
D. destroying micro-organisms
The platelets are a component of the mammalian blood, their functions include formation of clots when needed to stop bleeding, and dissolution of same when not in need.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- The transportation of oxygen is the sole responsibility of the red-blood cells and not the platelets. so, A is quite incorrect.
- Yes, the initiation of blood clots to stop bleeding is the sole responsibility of platelets. So, B is correct.
- The removal of carbon dioxide, including other wastes, is the sole responsibility of the blood plasma. C is incorrect.
- D is also incorrect; the white blood cells are responsible for destroying micro-organisms, especially disease causing ones, thereby preventing or fighting diseases in the body.
You may please note that there are four major components found in the mammalian blood, these are listed below for references:
- Plasma – 54.3%
- Red blood cells – 45%
- Platelets – 0.20%
- White-blood cells – 0.5%
The percentages expressed above may slightly vary, but always within these estimates.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further queries on this topic…
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME biology question 8 /