The structural formula of ethanoic acid is
- A. HCOOH
- B. CH3COOH
- C. CH3CH2CHO
- D. CH3CH2COOH
In naming alkanoic acids, ensure that all the carbons, including the carbon in the functional group is counted.
Ethanoic acid will have a functional group of COOH, and a total of two carbons.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. there is only one carbon, this is called methanoic acid.
- Option B is correct. Two carbons.
- C is incorrect. this is three carbons, and an aldehyde functional group. This is propanal and not ethanoic acid.
- D is not the correct answer. This is three carbons and alkanoic acid functional group. The name of this compound is propanoic acid.
You may please note these/this:
- You must have to count all the carbons including the one in the functional group and give a name according this number of carbons.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions and deal more on this topic…
You can also FREELY share this page with friends.
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 34 /