The table above shows the frequency distribution of marks…
- Which of the following is a set of neutral oxides? - 11/25/2022
- A secondary alkanol can be oxidized to give… - 11/25/2022
- The IUPAC name for CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 is… - 11/25/2022
AP Statistics: What are bar charts and histograms?
The table above shows the frequency distribution of marks obtained by a group of students. If the total marks is 48, find the value of y
- A. 5
- B. 6
- C. 7
- D. 8
Proper interpretation of this table shows that:
Mark 2 appeared 4 times,
Mark 3 appeared 4 times, and
Mark 4 appeared y times.
Therefore, total marks = 2 × 4 + 3 × 4 + 4 × y = 48
8 + 12 + 4y = 48
20 + 4y = 48
4y = 48 – 20
4y = 28
y = 28/4 = 7
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect.
- Option B is incorrect.
- C is correct.
- D is not the correct answer.
You may please note these/this:
- The presence of frequency means each mark appeared more than once, so put this into consideration while solving for the total mark.
You are free to add your own answers below this page to assist others improve their learning.
You can also click the golden ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page to raise new related questions… OUR COMMUNITY OF EXPERTS WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TACKLE IT…
/ culled from 2016 JAMB-UTME mathematics past question 19 /