What is the chemical name for the compound CuCO₃?
A. Copper (iii) carbonate
B. Copper (ii) carbonate
C. Copper (i) carbonate
The chemical name for the compound CuCO₃ is Copper (ii) trioxocarbonate (iv) or simply copper (ii) carbonate.
To find out whether it is copper (i)…, copper (ii)…, or copper (iii)…, we would have to quickly find the oxidation state of copper in the compound like this:
C = +4
O = -2
Cu + (4) + 3(-2) = 0
Cu + 4 – 6 = 0
Cu – 2 = 0
Cu = +2
Therefore, it should be = copper (ii)… and not copper (iii)…, copper (i)…
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. copper (iii) carbonate does not exist.
- Option B is correct.
- C is incorrect. copper (i) carbonate = Cu₂CO₃.
- D is not the correct answer. copper = Cu.
You may please note these/this:
- The formula for Copper (i) carbonate = Cu₂CO₃.
- The formula for Copper (ii) carbonate = CuCO₃
- Copper (iii) carbonate does not exist.
If you love our answers, you can simply join our community and also provide answers like this, fellow learners like you will appreciate it.
/ culled from 2021 JAMB-UTME CHEMISTRY question 5 /