The graph below shows the results of a laboratory investigation which measured the body temperatures of a lizard and a bird under changing artificial conditions. Use to answer questions 15 and 16.
What physiological term can be used to describe the regulation of the body temperature of the lizard?
Careful analysis of this graph shows that during the investigation…
- The temperature of the bird varied slowly from about 95°F to 105°F;
- The temperature of the lizard varied more vigorously from slightly above 60°F to 110°F, when environmental temperatures were between 70°F and 100°F.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect; homeostasis is the tendency of a body to maintain a stable internal balance even when external conditions like temperature and PH, concentration as well as other factors are varying. The lizard’s body temperature suddenly increased rapidly.
- Option B is also incorrect; Homeothermy involves the zero or slight variation of body temperatures as the environmental temperature varies. Homeothermic animals tend to maintain almost constant internal body temperature even when environmental temperature is changing, eg man, birds.
- Yes, Poikilothermy involves a significant change in body temperature in response to environmental temperature changes. C is very correct; this is because the lizard’s body temperature suddenly increased rapidly.
- D is incorrect; osmoregulation has to do with maintenance of balance in salt and water concentration between a body and its environment.
You may please note that
- Homeothermy is a special case of homeostasis involving temperature.
You may use the questions and answers session to deal further on this topic…
/culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME biology question 16 /