Which of the following gases may not be dried with concentrated sulphuric acid
Which of the following gases may not be dried with concentrated sulphuric acid?
Quick lime (CaO) is the right drying agent often used to dry ammonia and not concentrated sulphuric acid, this is because ammonia readily reacts with the acid to form ammonium sulphate.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. HCl gas can be effectively dried by conc sulfuric acid.
- Option B is correct. Quick lime instead is used.
- C is incorrect. chlorine gas can effectively be dried using the acid.
- D is not the correct answer. Sulfur (iv) oxide can also be effectively dried using concentrated sulfuric acid.
You may please note these/this:
- Conc sulphuric acid and calcium chloride are both good drying agents, but they are not used to dry ammonia because a reaction is bound to occur.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions on this topic…
You can also freely share this page with friends.
/ culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 39 /