Which of the following group of animals can withstand the rigors of…
Which of the following group of animals can withstand the rigors of the arid land?
A. locust, camel, lizard and snakes
B. monkeys, chameleon, earthworm and grasshopper
C. monkeys, grasshopper, snail and snakes
D. lungfish, duck, butterfly and lizards
Arid lands are notoriously reputed as dry lands with limited quantity of moisture.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Desert locusts are known desert swarming dangerous insects; camels are known for surviving long desert journeys, they can travel in arid lands with little or no water; there are several species of lizards which live in the desert; also, several species of snakes also live in the deserts. So, generally, A is very correct.
- Monkeys mostly need trees, although some species live in deserts, chameleons too can survive in the desert. Earthworms need moisture for survival, grasshoppers need vegetation to survive. B is incorrect.
- I have already spoken of monkeys, grasshoppers and snakes which may survive arid drylands; however, snails need compulsory moisture for survival. C is also incorrect.
- D is incorrect; ducks, butterflies, and lizards may survive the desert, but lungfishes need water for survival.
You may please note that:
- Lungfishes can aestivate during dry seasons, this does not mean they can survive dry desert environments.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions on this topic…
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME biology question 4 /