Which of the following pair of organisms exhibit parasitic association
- Which of the following statements correctly describe(s) cathode rays? - 06/27/2022
- A convex mirror is used as a driving mirror because… - 06/27/2022
- A transistor functions mainly as a… - 06/27/2022
Which of the following pair of organisms exhibit parasitic association?
A. insect and plant
B. cattle and egret
C. shark and remora
D. tsetse-fly and cattle
Parasitic association is a one-sided feeding association where one party benefits, and the other losses or even dies of the association. The benefactor of this association is called the parasite, and the victim called the host.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- This could have been the answer had the examiner specified the exact activity of the insect on the plant, or the exact specie of plant and insect. Some insects are parasites while some are beneficial to plants, the beneficial insects may aid in fertilization and transfer of pollen grains. So, generally, A is incorrect.
- Cattle egret relationship is commensal and not parasitic, this is because while the egret feeds off the insects attracted by the cattle, the cattle itself neither gain nor lose anything. B is also incorrect.
- Shark and remora have a symbiotic association; the both of them benefit from each other, no parasitism here. C is also incorrect.
- D is correct; tsetse flies are dangerous parasites who feeds off the blood of cattle as well as inject trypanosoma into them, causing diseases and deaths.
You may please note that:
- Option A was rejected because the mention of specific insect and plant would have clarified what kind of relationship is involved.
- Some insects are parasitic to some kind of plants, others are beneficial.
Use the questions and answers session to raise further questions on this topic…
/ culled from 2017 JAMB-UTME biology question 3 /