Which of the following statements does not show Rutherford’s…
Which of the following statements does not show Rutherford’s account of nuclear theory? An atom contains a region
- A. Which contains protons and neutrons
- B. Which is positively charged
- C. Which is massive and can cause deflection of a few projectiles
- D. Which is very large and in which close to 98% of projectiles pass undeflected
In his gold foil experiment, Rutherford demonstrated that when positively charged alpha particles are used to bombard a gold foil, most of the particles passed unhindered as expected, but surprisingly, a few simply bounced off as though there was a powerful sub-atomic particle which collided with it to give it a bouncing momentum.
Rutherford concluded that atoms are made up of positively charged heavy or massive center, with electrons largely revolving round this center, similar to our planetary system where planets revolve round the sun.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect. Rutherford’s experiment demonstrated that the center must be massive and positively charged.
- Option B is incorrect. since the alpha particle which was deflected is positively charged, this newly discovered heavy center must be positively charged too, since like charges repel.
- C is incorrect. Rutherford discovered a massive center which can cause the severe deflection of a few projectiles.
- D is the correct answer. Ordinarily, according to earlier J J Thompson’s theory, it was expected that all the alpha projectiles would pass through the foil unhindered, Rutherford’s discovery is in the tiny massive center that can deflect a few of these powerful alpha projectiles.
You may please note these/this:
- Rutherford did not discover for the first time, the large space through which most of the alpha particles is expected to pass through, he only discovered the heavy center, through which a few projectiles unexpectedly got bounced off.
Use the questions and answer section to correct, express, and contribute your views.
You can also share this page with friends.
/ culled from 2019 JAMB-UTME Chemistry question 17 /
Which of the following statements does not show Rutherford’s... » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: quiztablet.com