Which of the following statements is correct?
A. The average kinetic energy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature
B. At constant temperature, the volume of a gas increases as the pressure increases.
C. The pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume.
D. The temperature of gas is directly proportional to its volume.
According to kinetic theory of gasses, the average kinetic energy of a gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature. That is, as the temperature of a gas is increased, the gas particles gain more speed, increasing their average kinetic energy.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is correct. this is a restatement of kinetic theory of gas.
- Option B is incorrect. No, according to Boyle’s law, at constant temperature, the volume of a gas decreases (not increase) as the pressure increases. This is because its volume is inversely proportional to its pressure.
- C is incorrect. Yes, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume, but this is with a condition which must be stated, this condition is constant temperature.
- D is not the correct answer. Yes, the temperature of gas is directly proportional to its volume, but this is coming at a price, the pressure must be kept constant.
You may please note these/this:
- Options C and D, not chosen as the answer because important conditions of constancy in temperature and pressure respectively, were not stated in both.
If you love our answers, you can login to comment and say hi to us at the comment section…
To raise new related questions, click the ASK A QUESTION BOTTON down this page!
/ culled from 2015 JAMB-UTME Chemistry past question 1 /
Which of the following statements is correct... » QuizTablet
MOST ACCURATE ANSWERS!!!
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: QuizTablet.com