Which of the following structures is not a skeletal material?
Skeletal materials are materials that form the main exoskeleton or endoskeleton that serves as support for any organism.
Now for the right answer to the above question:
- Option A is incorrect; this is because chitin is indeed a fibrous skeletal material found in arthropods and fungi. Arthropods like crabs and insects have exoskeletal supports made of chitin, snail shells are also made of chitin.
- Option B is incorrect; a cartilage is the strong tissue that pads two bones together at the joints, they help reduce friction between bones, and at the same time firmly holds them together. So, it is a skeletal material.
- The bone is absolutely a skeletal material; c is incorrect
- Actually, D is very correct; because the muscle is not a skeletal material.
You may please note that
- The cell walls of fungi are made of chitin.
- Chitin is also a long chain polysaccharide derived from glucose.
- While ligaments connect bone to bone at joints, cartilage act as pads to cover and firmly hold them together.
- Tendon connects bones to muscles.
you may use the questions and answers session to deal further on this topic…
/ culled from 2018 JAMB-UTME biology question 11 /
Which of the following structures is not a skeletal... » QuizTablet
Course Provider: Organization
Course Provider Name: N.D Sammy
Course Provider URL: https://quiztablet.com/about-quiztablet-community/